What Can I Do To Ensure My Spouse Pays Their Bankruptcy Debt in Connecticut?

mediationPeople are always worried about the correlation between bankruptcy and divorce.  If the court orders my spouse to pay a certain amount of my debts, can they just file bankruptcy and not pay those debts or pay those amounts?  It is very important in your separation agreement for any orders to read that they are in the means of support or alimony.

If your spouse is only ordered to pay your credit card bills, they can file for bankruptcy and discharge that obligation.  That way, if the agreement specifically states that this debt or obligation is in the form of support or alimony, it cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

Share this Article

About the Author

Fairfield County, Connecticut Attorney David Volman provided personalized legal representation for Family law, personal injury, bankruptcy, criminal cases, real estate & business law.