What Happens if Your Spouse Doesn’t Pay Child Support?

shutterstock_18If you don’t pay your child support, your spouse can file a motion of contempt against you and the court can incarcerate you.  If you see that you cannot afford to pay your child support, you need to file a motion of modification immediately with the court.

That requires a $175 filing fee and the court can modify the child support based upon a substantial change of circumstances.  It can only be modified from the date you filed your modification.  It cannot be retroactively modified.

Share this Article

About the Author

Fairfield County, Connecticut Attorney David Volman provided personalized legal representation for Family law, personal injury, bankruptcy, criminal cases, real estate & business law.